Hey all you cool cats and kittens, and welcome to issue 14 of Content, Curated. I’m not going to mention the dreaded ‘C’ word during this issue as I expect we’re all fed up of hearing about it, and no, I’m not talking about Carole Baskin.
It’s a strange time for content, with headlines being dominated by more pressing issues and journalists completely shifting the type of pieces they’re after. While it seems news sites are gradually heading back towards normality, a lot of people seem to be after uplifting news and stories as well as actionable quarantine boredom beating ideas.
Hopefully you’re still finding success during this tricky time, and I’m confident the below content pieces will give you a nice shot of inspiration.
A quick note before we dive in, I’m tweaking the ‘Must-follow Marketer’ section this month to include content focused individuals who have perhaps found themselves out of work recently, or freelancers who have experienced their leads drying up. If you or someone you know fits into these areas drop me an email and I’ll update the post with their deets!
Made something you’re proud of? I’d love to see it! Send it over to firstname.lastname@example.org 💌
Must-see Content 👀
Subpar Parks ⛰️
This is great. Illustrator Amber Share has setup an insta account where she shares posters she’s made based on one-star reviews of America’s National Parks. For some reason I can’t help but read them in Donald Trump’s voice.
The Emotional GIF Range of Celebs 🎞️
This piece by The Pudding looks at the emotional (GIF) range of celebrities, by using data from Google’s GIF keyboard. There’s a tonne of celebrities included.
The Auction Game 💸
Once again featuring some work by Neal.fun, this time a simple and lighthearted game where you have to guess how much famous art sold for. I’m pretty terrible at it.
Coronavirus Logos 🦠
Inspired by social distancing and ways of life at this moment in time, designer Jure Tovrljan re-imagined several well-known logos.
Discovered via Digital PR Examples 🕵️
The Sleek Colours of “Joker” 🤡
I’m a big fan of pieces like this. Each circular line represents one frame from the film “Joker” extracted at regular intervals throughout. There’s a whole Etsy shop of them here if you’re in the market for some new wall art.
Future Gamer 🎮
A few issues a go I featured ‘Emma‘ which was a real, fullsized model of how the future office worker might look. Michael is the gaming equivalent, with ailments such as ‘Playstation Thumb’ and ‘Trigger Finger’. It’s done very well coverage wise!
Classic Album Covers Redesigned for Social Distancing 🎼
Another social distancing inspired piece, this time featuring iconic album covers. Design agency Activista Los Angeles has done a good job to ensure government regulations are being met.
Brand Mascot Gender Switch 👫
Lots of stuff being ‘reimagined’ recently. This one switches well-known male mascots for female counterparts, in celebration of International Women’s Day. It’s an interesting take on things, with some good examples.
Discovered via Amy Hunt 🕵️
More Great Content…
- To Beard or not to Beard? 🧔 Discovered via Vince Nero 🕵️
- The Most Family-Friendly Airlines ✈️ Discovered via Katheryn Rhian Watson
- How Different Infectious Diseases Got Their Names 🤒
- Hand Sanitisers Selling for More than 5000% RRP Online ✋
- Britain’s Home Stress Points 😠
The below campaigns may not have been intentional PR stunts, however they did attract substantial attention from the media.
The Hoxton Dog Page 🐕
The Hoxton, which is a dog-friendly hotel, put together this page written in ‘dog’ detailing the perks you and your pooch will receive upon checkin. It’s simple, but a nice touch.
Ricky Easter Egg Surprise 🍆
Sex toy shop Ricky were offering the chance to buy an Easter Egg with a twist. Each one had a surprise sex toy inside, and they ultimately sold out. The folks behind this, Rise At Seven, wrote an interesting post about their relationship with this client.
Must-read Articles ☕
Below are some articles that are absolutely worthy of a read during your coffee break:
- State of Link Building 2020 Report 🔗
- Reddit Metrics 🔥 – This is a great tool that details the fastest growing subreddits, top new subreddits and more. It’s really hand for spotting viral trends and interests.
- Email Verification Addon 📧 – Another tool. This one allows you to verify email addresses right in Google sheets, useful for those outreach lists.
- Work in PRogress 🗣️ – A new newsletter by Abi Bennetts highlighting PR campaigns and learning resources. Highly recommend you sub!
Must-follow Marketer 👑
As mentioned, a slight twist on things this issue. If you or someone you know needs a bit of exposure, whether for finding a job or freelance work, let me know and I’ll include them here.
You can DM me on Twitter or drop me an email: markprtr[at]gmail.com.
- James Walsh, Head of Production At Boom Online Marketing, is currently offering free logos to those in need (small businesses, sole traders, charities, volunteers etc.). Awesome stuff.
- Melanie Marten, owner of The Coup and founder of PRontheGO.com, is offering 1 hour of free PR consultancy during COVID-19. Take a look at her Clarity page.
As always, thanks to those of you who sent over content, I appreciate it!
If you’re not yet subscribed, feel free to do so in order to be notified of future issues, and follow me on Twitter where I occasionally share awesome content examples.
Stay healthy and safe.